If you haven’t noticed it yet, there is a link at the bottom of my blog for a project called ROW80. This stands for “A Round of Words in 80 Days”. It is a writing challenge organized by Kait Nolan. She loves writing challenges, but is unhappy with the way that challenges like NaNoWriMo expect you to drop everything else in order to focus on that one thing. So she came up with her own, more reasonable challenge. In her own words, it is “The Writing Challenge That Knows You Have A Life”. She intends to have these challenges on a quarterly basis, with the first one starting Monday, January 3, 2011, and running through March 24. You can read more about it at http://aroundofwordsin80days.wordpress.com/about/.
I signed up for the challenge, and part of the process is to post a blog with your goals and then to post regular updates on Sundays and Wednesdays with your status. So here are my goals for the first quarter of 2011:
- Write 500 words of fiction every day. A modest goal, but this should result in at least 40,000 words by the end of the challenge.
- Finish the first draft of my current paranormal romance Work in Progress, Finding Valhalla.
- Start editing and planning the rewrite of myNaNoWriMo project, Dragons at Dawn.
- Faithfully post blog entries every Monday and Thursday for my Author In Progress blog.
- Faithfully post blog entries every Sunday and Wednesday for my ROW80 status updates.
So that’s it. Those are my goals. I expect the first two won’t be a problem, at least not until I finish my WIP. I don’t plan to even start on the editing goal until I finish my draft of Finding Valhalla. The ROW80 status update blogs shouldn’t be a problem either, but keeping up with the AIP blog may be a little more challenging. I have some topics planned, but not nearly enough to keep me going twice a week for three months.
Ready, Set, Write!