I’m still working on my outline, and time is running out. I know that I don’t have to have the whole thing plotted out before I start writing next week, but the more I get done the better it will be.
Goal 1: I will work on my writing every day.
I think I have a good general idea of the main plot points, but I was only able to get my head wrapped around a possible opening hook yesterday. The hook was hard for me, because I didn’t want to put too much in the reader’s head at one time yet I wanted to make sure they wanted to keep reading. I need to introduce my main character, yet hold some of the story back for later. So I had to take a look at what I had to work with and what I wanted to accomplish before the first plot point and try to come up with something from there.
- Nicole is a state trooper. That is something that can be stated with minimal explanation to introduce her quickly and without a lot of exposition.
- At the start of the book she is a normal human being. This is a little more of a problem. It essentially means that I have to write the beginning as a person who unexpectedly is confronted with the existence of the supernatural.
- The supernatural world needs to be introduced right away.
- There are other Valkyries in the world. I thought of bringing in Miranda (my first Valkyrie) at the beginning, but since someone needs to die in order to make Nicole a Valkyrie, I don’t want that person to be Miranda. So instead I will have to come up with another character in order to kill her off. However, I do think I can bring in Kari (Loki’s daughter) as a tie-in with my first effort.
- Nicole has repressed memories of a supernatural experience. This is a very touchy issue. I will somehow need to introduce this backstory as a part of her character, but I don’t want to just blurt it out. I need to put it in there as hints and emotions, things that affect Nicole on a subconscious level. A little foreshadowing would be appropriate here, but I’m going to mainly focus on these inner demons.
- Nicole is very protective of others. This can be shown when she joins the fight against the monster, even though she is way out of her league.
With these things in mind, I decided that I should introduce Nicole as she is chasing Kari and the ill-fated Valkyrie for speeding. They have an accident and Nicole is tricked into driving them to battle. The journey there will allow me to lower the tension from the chase in the first scene, and give me an opportunity to describe the location and hint at some of the backstory. When they arrive, she will be confronted with the supernatural world and will join the fight even though she is overmatched. When the other Valkyrie is killed, she grabs her spear and through sheer luck is able to kill the monster.
That is my plan for the first one-quarter of the book. It will take me up to the First Plot Point, which is going to be when Freya recruits her as a replacement for the slain Valkyrie. I don’t have anything else outlined, but my general idea is that she will be struggling to learn her duties as a Valkyrie until the midpoint of the book, when she decides to use her new power to hunt down the creature that killed her father. The Second Plot point at the three-quarter mark will be when she has to reveal her power to her boyfriend in order to save him. The last part of the book will be a struggle between his male ego and her protective nature until at the end she is forced to choose to allow him to sacrifice himself as a hero in order to fulfill her role as a Valkyrie. This is the part that is going to be the most difficult for me. I am thinking that I will probably have to bring Freya back to make sure that Nicole understands the importance of this. It may even have to include a discussion of the nature of love.
I can’t believe I just wrote that. This is definitely going to be a challenge for me.
Goal 2: I will participate in NaNoWriMo in November.
The countdown continues. Just a few more days and it will be time to start writing. Like I said, I am still working on my outline. It’s going to be tough to nail it down before Tuesday, but with a little focus I will get a bit more done over the weekend.
Goal 3: Diet and exercise to lose at least 10 pounds by the end of this round.
I have walked to work every day this week, so I am getting some exercise. I am also planning on getting on the exercise bike tonight while watching The Lovely Bones. I’m also planning on riding while watching Chuck tomorrow night.
I’ll be back Monday with one last update before NaNoWriMo starts. See you then!